Talking to a family member or friend about losing weight can be hard. Use these tips to get the conversation started.
Begin by saying, “I care about you.”
- “You are important to me, and I want you to be around for a long time.”
- “I want you to have more energy and not worry about your health. That’s why I want to help you reach a healthy weight.”
Share what has worked for others.
Here are some ideas for losing weight in a healthy way:
- Try losing weight slowly, about 1 to 2 pounds each week.
- Eat smaller portions.
- Start a food diary to keep track of what and how much you eat.
- Eat a healthy breakfast every day.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks like soda or juice.
- Be active your way. Find activities you like and do them often.
- Do something active every day – take the stairs, go for a walk at lunch, or enjoy a family bike ride.
- Join a walking club or support group to keep you motivated.
If you have friends, family members, or co-workers who have lost weight by eating healthy and getting active, share what worked for them.
Do more than talk.
- “How can I help you lose weight?”
- “What can we do together to get healthy?”
Here are some ideas:
- Go food shopping together. Compare food labels to make healthy choices.
- If you go out to eat, split a meal or save half to take home.
- Go for a walk every evening or take an exercise class together.
- Celebrate your loved one’s weight loss, but don’t use food as a reward.