Don’t wait – make a plan with your family today.
Make an emergency supply kit.
Gather supplies like water, medicines, and blankets. You won’t have time to search or shop for these supplies during an emergency, so put together your kit now. Make sure your kit includes:
- Water for at least 3 days. You’ll need at least 1 gallon of water a day for each person and pet.
- Food for at least 3 days. Choose foods that don’t need to be kept cold, like energy bars, peanut butter, crackers, and canned fruit (don’t forget a can opener). Find out how to keep food safe during an emergency.
- Prescription medicine that you take every day, like heart or diabetes medicine.
- A first aid kit to treat cuts, burns, and other basic injuries. Find out what to put in your family’s first aid kit. (You can also buy first aid kits at many stores.)
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- A whistle to call for help.
Keep your emergency supplies together in a backpack, bag, or easy-to-carry container. Use a waterproof container if possible.
For more help putting together your kit, print out this emergency supply kit checklist [PDF - 163 KB].
Make a plan.
It’s important to make a plan in case your family members aren’t in the same place when disaster strikes. Consider a plan where each family member calls the same friend or relative if there’s an emergency.
Print this Family Emergency Plan [PDF - 520 KB]. Sit down and fill it out together so that everyone in your family knows what to do.
Know what to do during different types of emergencies.
Find out about the different kinds of disasters that might happen in your area. Decide how you will take action.