The Basics: Overview
Staying safe at work is very important. If you don't work in a safe way, you can get hurt or become sick. The good news is that there are things you can do – both at work and at home – to lower your chances of getting hurt.
Take these steps to prevent injuries at work:
- Lift things safely.
- Arrange your equipment to fit your body.
- Take short breaks and stretch.
- Wear protective equipment.
- Ask about health resources at work.
Your overall health can also affect how you feel and perform at work. To be able to work safely, it's important for you to:
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Stay active.
- Watch your weight.
- Take steps to manage stress.
The Basics: Types of Injuries
Why do I need to take steps to prevent injuries at work?
All types of jobs – even desk jobs – can lead to injuries. Back injuries are the most common type of workplace injury.
You are at risk of getting hurt at work if you:
- Lift or carry heavy objects. This can strain or injure your back, shoulders, or neck.
- Do the same activity over and over again, like typing or working on an assembly line. This can cause what's called a repetitive motion injury.
- Don't wear the right protective equipment for the work you do, like earplugs or safety goggles.
Taking steps to stay safe and healthy at work can help you get more done at work and feel better overall.