Waist circumference is a factor
(HealthDay News) -- Metabolic syndrome, sometimes called pre-diabetes, is a group of risk factors that increase your risk of heart disease.
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute says metabolic syndrome includes:
- Having excess abdominal fat, which increases the circumference of your waist.
- Having high levels of fatty triglycerides in the blood.
- Having low levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol.
- Having high blood pressure.
- Having a high fasting blood sugar.
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.