Plan ahead before your meal
(HealthDay News) -- Restaurants aren't off-limits if you have a severe food allergy, but you should plan ahead to make sure you stay safe.
The Food Allergy Research and Education website advises:
- Call the restaurant and speak with the chef about which menu items are safe choices.
- Plan your meal times within the first hour of meal service, so the restaurant is less busy and the staff more alert.
- Bring a chef card that explains your allergies.
- Always bring an epinephrine pen, a medical ID bracelet and any medications you may need.
- Ask around for allergy-friendly restaurants, or opt for a chain restaurant that is allergy-aware and likely has the same menu at any location.
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.