Suggestions to avoid being a couch potato
(HealthDay News) -- You don't have to belong to a gym for you and family members to get enough exercise. Why not start at home?
The American Heart Association suggests:
- Do your own housework, mow the lawn or rake leaves.
- Before meals, head outside for a short walk. Start out with a five-to-10-minute walk and work your way up to 30 minutes. If you're heading to a nearby store, take a bike or walk and leave the car home.
- While watching TV, do sit-ups, stretch or use home gym equipment. While you talk on the phone, stand up.
- Take the family dog for a walk.
- Park further from your destination so you get in extra steps. If you're headed to the mall, bring some sneakers and walk a few laps.
- Stretch, bend and squat while looking for items around the house.
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.