They're loaded with vitamins
(HealthDay News) -- Avocados are a nutrient-rich, versatile food that offer many health benefits.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics mentions this:
- Avocados are a good source of folate, potassium and vitamins E, C and B6.
- They're rich in soluble fiber and monounsaturated (heart-healthy) fats.
- They contain plant sterols that can help lower cholesterol, lutein to promote healthier eyesight and antioxidants that may protect against cancer.
- To spot a ripe avocado, look for one that is slightly soft when you press gently with your palm.
- Mash avocados with a fork to turn into a spread, or slice them and add to sandwiches or salad.
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.