Here's where you can find the mineral
(HealthDay News) -- Iron is a mineral essential for healthy red blood cells. If you don't get enough from a balanced diet, your health can suffer.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics advises eating these iron-rich foods:
- Animal-based proteins, including lean beef and pork. Chicken, turkey and fish also are good choices.
- Leafy, dark green vegetables, such as spinach.
- Soybeans, lentils, kidney, pinto and other types of beans.
- Cereals fortified with iron.
- Rice, breads and other whole grains enriched with iron.
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.