Moisturizing is key
(HealthDay News) -- Dry, itchy skin can be annoying and even painful. Fortunately, it's mostly preventable.
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests:
- Take lukewarm baths and showers, and don't stay too long. Carefully pat skin dry, and apply moisturizer as soon as you get out.
- Opt for a thick moisturizing cream or ointment instead of lotion.
- Choose fragrance-free products, which tend to be less drying and irritating.
- Run a humidifier to keep the air moist.
- Skip wool and rough fabrics. Instead, opt for 100 percent cotton and other "breathable" fabrics.
- Wash hands frequently, or use hand sanitizer. Use a thick hand cream after each washing.
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.